Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Fashion Illustration


It may surprise you to learn that fashion illustrations are among my very favourite things, aesthetically speaking, ever since I flicked through 100 Years of Fashion Illustration by Cally Blackman and was bewitched by how completely a moment in colour and cloth could be captured. It wasn't long afterward that I came across a folder of sketched 'looks' from the 1930s at a vintage fair - all so stylised and graceful, I was on a student budget and the price was a little rich for my blood but I have never forgotten them. 

Very recently I came across an illustrator whose work is infinitely more contemporary but retains all the elegance of those 1930s sketches and have since been glued to her blog - Helen Simms. I'd recommend whipping up a mug of whatever your preferred brew is and then popping over to enjoy her pieces, you could end up lingering there quite some time if you're anything like me - and proper refreshment is always a winner. In addition to her beautiful blog Helen also runs an Etsy shop filled with prints of her work, alongside originals - she very kindly offered me a chance to choose a print to review and I was immediately stuck between a rock and a hard place - I was enchanted by them all. The vivid green of this interpretation of an Elie Saab collection initially held sway before I looked more closely at the print photographed above, she stood out as almost my exact definition of female poise with her passing resemblance to Audrey Hepburn! It is her open expression in the glance over her shoulder, as though she has been preserved in a thoughtful moment, that made the decision for me. 

As soon as she arrived in the post (speedily and very well packaged I may add!) I was on the hunt for the right frame, there are dozens in a box I was given by T's Mum and yet none of them seemed quite right. I hit the shops (print in bag) and still couldn't find a frame that would be simple enough to let the image speak for herself but give a bold enough border to contrast - plain black didn't seem to cut it. For the moment she is delicately clipped and hung as is, in my living room, and I frequently stop whatever I am doing to just enjoy looking at her. I have a runaway imagination and a tendency to invent a story at the drop of a hat, but I was curious as to what led Helen to create her so sent a few questions her way  . . . . . .

What inspired you to create her?!

Helen: Well, funnily enough the illustration you chose was created to accompany a blog article I wrote about the fact I am going grey!  I hope that doesn't put you off it in any way!

No but seriously, for some reason or another, I love drawing women - whether that's in the form of a portrait or as part of a fashion, beauty or lifestyle illustration. I suppose all illustrations develop their own style and my work is often about line and tends to be quite minimalist (if that's the right word) . When creating works I try to figure out just how little I can get away with and still capture what it is I'm trying to represent - figuring out how much can be pulled back. I think this piece is a lot about that conversation I'm having with myself in many ways!

What do you love most about fashion illustration?

Helen: That's a tough one! From quite a young age I always thought I wanted to become an artist and I thought that would be in the form of a fine art painter but a couple of years ago I began to pay more attention to illustration and suddenly something just clicked! There's often something very playful about it and to me, that's really important. I also love that it's such a diverse field and that there's room for so many different styles of illustration.

Do you have any thoughts on turning your passion into a career?

Helen: There's a quote taken from Confucius that I often hear that states "choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life" and I really agree with that. I would create illustrations whether I got paid or not so if you have a passion, why wouldn't you try to make it your career? I'm not saying it's easy and believe me I've had to give myself a few pep talks to keep going but you do only live once so I think it's so important to love what you do. I have friends who hate their job and I just think, what a waste!

As a side note I recently read Paulo Coelho's 'The Alchemist' and it absolutely blew me away! If anyone has a dream they haven't quite reached yet I'd thoroughly recommend it! 

*

I have felt so inspired by Helen's work over the past few weeks, both through her blog posts and the piece I have in my own home that I just had to share her work with you, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

16 comments:

  1. have just clicked through to Helen's blog and you are right - think I may be here for a while!! her pieces are gorgeous and so simple!! will take a look at her shop too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw the title of this post I instantly thought of my copy of 100 Years of Fashion Illustration on the bookcase downstairs. There is something so magical and intriguing about illustration and I think this lady is particularly spell-binding! Sometimes an unframed picture is far more spectacular than a framed one xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. Stunning. Thank you so much for sharing this with us Jem. You really are one of my fav bloggers. xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Helen's work such a talented young lady and just down the road from us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely lovely illistrations. In my dreams i drawer like that.....x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's absolutely gorgeous, I love it. Totally agree about fashion illustration, it's amazing how a few lines can express so much, it's a real skill.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this, her work is really beautiful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey dear I really like your blog! What about following each other? Also on bloglovin, facebook and even lookbook if you want...just let me know :3 <3


    NEW POST UP!


    www.OntoMyWardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful prints. The black is so simple (that is in no way me trying to demean her work) but so beautifully done. Thank you for sharing her work.

    Lindsey. x
    www.elegant-chaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely beautiful. I love the way the monochrome is so simple and yet so striking, it's so perfect how it's not outlined (I know nothing about art so I don't know how else to describe that), makes it infinitely more elegant and poised somehow, such classic beauty. What a good find. xo

    Rosie | A Rosie Outlook

    ReplyDelete


  11. Hello dear
    I discovered your blog and am really enjoying.
    Congratulations for the work.
    Should you want to visit me at:
    http://www.neuzamariano.com
    Many kisses.

    P.S. Have I'm Follow u =)
    Neuza Mariano
    Youtube

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! xxx

    ps. This is my blog:
    http://rainingcakeandcookies.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blog looks really nice. *following*
    Cate Wood

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, i've never ever come across any fashion illustration, or ever heard of it! (Am i living under a rock?)
    So delicate, too.

    Though i have to say, i hated the Alchemist! (the end of the interview its mentioned.

    Keep warm,

    WanderBug

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow these illustrations are beautiful!
    I've just found your blog today and it's so magical, I could literally spend all day looking through your posts :) New follower :)
    xxx

    www.sally-blogs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh she is beautiful! Ive missed catching up on your blog with all your treasures :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)