Saturday, 18 February 2012

Box Turned Bookshelf

I was wandering through a local market recently when I spotted slightly battered but fairly unremarkable box stood on it's end propping up an old blue and white washbowl the stall holder was selling. On closer inspection the outside had a good finish with dovetailed joints and all the time worn distressing any vintage lover could possibly want.  Bushel boxes and old crates fetch mad prices on eBay and in vintage boutiques so it was fair to expect the price on something similar would be a little rich for my blood, but I was carting it home under my arm for only £5.



Given my ever expanding library of books I'm always running short on shelving or flat surfaces to put them on and the first thing that occurred to me was to pilfer some of my favourite hardbacks from an overstuffed bookcase, turn the box on it's side and rehome them there.




It worked well and I'm so happy with the way it looks, it's funny how often an idea that seems fantastic in your head doesn't translate half as well in reality, this time I wasn't disappointed and I'll be keeping a keen eye for similar finds.


22 comments:

  1. You are soooo clever! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks lovely - the typography on the spines/book colours works really well showcased in the wooden box x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it! It looks so good. I'm moving next month and will have my eyes open for something similar so I can shamelessly copy it.
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks gorgeous - might have to give this one a go myself! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great idea and totally what I would have done with it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! The books look beautiful in their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such an amazing find! Like you said boxed like that usually go for ridiculous prizes even in charity shops. It turned out great! I want a box like that for my favorite books :)

    Hope you're having a great weekend Jem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jem, it looks stunning! You have such a knack for finding lovely things xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great find - looks good!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. It look fab with your books - great find! I agree they go for silly prices on ebay. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beutifully made box and the selection of books show it off a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely box and great idea. I have a stack of wooden wine crates I need to do something with and your idea is on top of the possibilities list.

    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely Idea and a great find! I've been eyeing for wooden box/crates in my local CS but so far no luck! I so so love your collection of books!

    love the photos as usual!

    x susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have a bit of a collection of old wooden boxes (shabbier than yours) that we are going to turn into shelving when our renos are done. Yours is proof they'll look good.
    I have been wanting to read The Mitford Girls for ages, but forget every time I go to the library, thanks for reminding me Jem x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing Jem! I'm also slightly jealous of all your beautiful looking books (and the lighting effect in the photos) :p xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh yes, I love this - great idea. I am very short of shelves too (kindle really didn't seem to stop the influx). I do wish you were my neighbour, I'd love to pop round and raid your lovely hardbacks xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks very good indeed. Some great covers there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a wonderful find, and the way you pictured it in your mind really does translate to how it has turned out. I love the fact you have endless piles of books around your home, it sounds just like mine! All of your books look so beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it!!I'm in need of some wall storage for my craft room, never thought about using crates, I'll be on the look out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a really inventive idea, something like this would look really good in my kitchen with all my cook books in it, I must keep an eye out for a similar box!

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)