Monday, 28 November 2011

British Made Monday


Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette is a film I frequently pop into the DVD player when I need something completely escapist, full of decadence and beauty.  Some brilliantly odd casting, a punk-edged 80s soundtrack and sumptuous surroundings pull me in each time.  Small surprise that I spotted this illustrated card by The Secret Tea Party and loved it immediately!


Photos of Amsterdam and it's tall, lean town houses with gorgeous gables make me smile, suffice to say a Dutch-style house in brooch form was always going to be a hit with me!  At 2 inches tall it would make quite an eye catching addition to the lapel of a winter coat.  It's made from brass and is just one of the curious creations in The Hollowbourne Hoard's Etsy shop.



These two prints are the work of Sandra Dieckmann.  It'll sound odd but I wish my dreams looked like her illustrations which are all bursting with imagination and wonder, I'll go so far as to say I find it impossible not to be inspired when I stop by her Etsy shop for a regular browse.  You'll also find some lovely little gifts there in the form of tote bags and pocket/handbag mirrors.


I enjoy a touch of kitsch here and there. It has to be full on, no half measures and sparingly used for my taste - too much in one area and it somehow looses all it's jaunty punch.  This particular cushion from Carousel Belle is exactly my brand of kitsch!


Shakespeare journals from Immortal Longings. I've had these stunning creations bookmarked for several years now - even if you're not particularly clued up on/partial to Shakespeare I think it's easy to appreciate these leather bound journals for how lovely they are as objects.

19 comments:

  1. Now you've done it!! (-; I only got paid on Friday and I'm already thinking about parting with some cash on things for me when I should be pressie shopping for Christmas. Arghghg! best sort of torture though!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for featuring my brooch, I wil leave a link on face book to this foe you.
    Happy Xmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your photos!!!

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the cushion and Shakespeare journals are BEAUTIFUL <3
    I love how I can always visit your blog and leave smiling - thank you :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have very good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous picks! I too had spied those Shakespeare journals on my last browse online...


    But I agree, if you keep this up, we'll all have spent all our money on ourselves rather than the christmas presents we're supposed to be buying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the prints by Sandra Dieckmann Jem, and I loved S Coppola's Marie Antoinette too, such a cup-cakey, girly, fairy flossy movie...don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stop it! Not allowed to buy anything for me! I do love those prints though...have a thing for wolves (although I predict they will be the next 'big thing' now we've done owls and stags/deer to death)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always pick such beautiful items. I love the cushion so much!

    I've just had a catch up and read your previous posts too (been so busy of late) and I love your brooch finds, very envious of those. :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jem, this post just got better and better as I scrolled down the screen! That pillow is, like, way cool and those journals are a dream. Agree with you about the right amount of kitsch. Those wolf pictures are true art - they look so genuine, like they have spilled fresh from a mind straight onto the page, gorgeous. Don't think I've seen the movie you are referring to though, soon when I have a stack of time time to myself I will check it out! Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie Antoinette is one of the best films! & those Shakespeare journals are fantastic!

    Satin&Souffles xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely stuff (as always!). I love the prints by Sandra Dieckman! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't Sandra Dieckmann's work amazing?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooooh im in love with the brooch! so gorgeous! and the shakespeare's journals are just adorable! i also love the prints sooo much! love all of them, Jem! Thanks for sharing them and the links!

    xx susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cushion is A-MAZING! Looks like the A.Henry printed fabric (im currently lusting after a dress in a fabric print similar to this). Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous post. Oh, your blog gets more and more beautiful by the day.

    I LOVE those two prints by Sandra Diekmann, especially the first. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. The more I read, the more I realise we have so much in common.
    Marie Antoinette is one of my all-time favourite films, I love the essence of it and I adore the cinematography. Such a beautiful film that captures me every time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I get what you mean about Sandra's illustrations they're so vivid! Beautiful :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)