Monday, 21 November 2011

British Made Monday

Monday Folksy Moment has undergone it's first evolution; a couple of emails planted the seed that I should include Etsy sellers as well as other crafters and artisans who sell their wares online. So rather than Mondays being a purely Folksy-based post instead they will focus on British makers across the board. Let's roll!


Kicking off with Jessica Hogarth, I recently bought a set of postcards from her gorgeous Etsy shop - they were great quality, reasonably priced and most importantly really appealed to my love of period buildings and the British coast.  I'm now eager to get my mitts on a print and a tea towel though I may have to make it a post Christmas treat!  If you're keen on architectural prints I'd recommend taking a peek as there are also some Parisian beauties to ogle.


Retro fabric, stripes, spots, and vintage buttons are the order of the day in Natalie Farrell's Folksy shop where there are a range of cases from coin purses to large makeup bags.  This one in particular caught my eye as I like the honeycomb-esque print against the cream and beige trims.


Zines aren't something I have many of but I could see myself building up a bit of a collection - Abandoned Christmas Trees is an intriguing one - call me weird but I always feel sorry for the discarded trees languishing on the pavement come New Year.


So many levels of 'yes, please'.  I tried making a bag out of cassette tapes myself a couple of years ago and somehow managed to glue a tape to the trousers I was wearing at the time, it really didn't turn out well.  Here is a fully bag-shaped one from Make It Sew and isn't it a beauty!?


An illustrated brooch from Holly Trill. I like everything in her shop but if I had to choose a favourite at this particular moment in time it would be the wolf brooch - with the patterned border and oval shape it's almost like a two dimensional, modern take on a cameo brooch.

22 comments:

  1. I can see an addiction come on withe Jessica Hogarths prints! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh off to check out Jessica Hogarth's etsy shop, I love the print you've shown us Jem.
    The abandoned Chrissy tree zine appeals to me too, nothing sadder than an abandoned Christmas tree...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all cool, really like the prints and have always been taken with quirky zines. Someone I follow made a cassette bag recently, it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh gotta look at Jessica Hogarths' etsy shop! im in love with her prints! now i wish i had alot of money, i would shop til im broke on etsy! :)

    x susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant taste in music Jem! I know our concert was rescheduled and some people may not have been able to make it but I still think there were too many empty seats at the back of the stadium - so there could've been a better vibe at our concert. However they delivered goosebumps for sure!!!
    With regards to this post - absolutely lovely recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it all except the cassette bag - must be missing something with that, just don't like it!

    The wolf brooch though, I would be really chuffed to find that in my stocking [if I had a stocking:(]

    I'm off to purchase some of Jessica's postcards - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A brilliant selection this week - I like them all!! Favourite has to go to the cassette bag &the Natalie Farell makeup bag - totally cute both of them but id be pretty excited to find anything from here in my christmas stocking!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first card totally reminds me of the Yorkshire coastline - well the proper old seaside towns there. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the print by Jessica so will definitely check her shop out. And the wolf brooch is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving that cassette tape bag, maybe I should be a bit more ruthless with my insanely large collection and do something arty with it. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Jessica Hogarth print! I often look at zines and wonder if I should buy some, after seeing this maybe I will! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for including my Abandoned Christmas Trees zine with these other great pieces! I love the cassette bag, it's such a great idea!

    All the best,
    Sarah
    eyeshoot.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bag is so frickin' cool! I know a few people who would really enjoy that as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cassette tape bag, I could never make anything like that so you did well for trying xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many thanks for including me on here! Much appreciated! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I’ve learned sonething new. I never heard of a zine before and had to google it. I like the postcard design; must take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've picked out some great things again, you have a wonderful eye :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great picks as always....really love the Jessica Hogarth and Holly Trill picks in particular!

    I agree with the thing about abandon christmas trees...there's something incredibly sad about them!

    I had a school friend whom made a bag out of orange and blue pvc by weaving it and ever since I've kind of been enthralled by crafted bags....I seriously thought it was the coolest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love prints like those and that cassette bag is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love this post! Especially those postcards - going to check out her shop now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What an interesting idea for all the old cassette tapes we have lying around. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You glued a cassette to your trousers? Ha ha. That's something I'd do. Well, I would have done, but now I have discovered Mod Podge and I a crafting GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)