Sunday, 9 October 2011

Treasure Hunt Swag








Plenty of gratuitous shots.  All pretties discovered recently; the blue stoneware jug was an Age UK purchase and a snip at 99p along with the vintage diamanté necklace for £1.49.  The bargain of them all was the Robert Graves edition from the Penguin Poets series which was picked up while I was away in Birmingham from the Salvation Army 30p book shelf.  I took it to the till and the lovely lady ringing up my finds said she couldn't possibly charge full price for such an old book and knocked it down to 10p.

There is now quite a horde of old sherry glasses, shot glasses and dessert bowls in my kitchen so I'd decided to knock glassware on the head a little until I'd either A) found a cupboard I could paint and prettify to house them all or B) moved somewhere bigger.  Obviously I have little to no resolve as those three for £1 drew me in easily enough.  Primark (or Primarni) turned up the denim and lace corsage for £1 - I couldn't have made one for that so I'm now wishing I'd bought another.  Last but not least is the dainty vintage filigree flower bracelet (draped over said corsage, yep I'm a fan of the unoriginal artful drape!) which was 49p from Mind.

It's odd but until this week I hadn't given much thought to why I treasure hunt so much, eyes always peeled for something interesting or pretty no matter where I am, but I've become more aware of it lately.  There is no stopping it though and without better storage my little house will be completely crammed, so next on the bargain hunting list are shelves and a small cupboard or two......

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend!


Linking to Flea Market Finds with Sophie of Her Library Adventures, Thrift Share Monday with Apron Thrift Girl, Magpie Monday with Me and my Shadow

23 comments:

  1. Lovely Finds, I love the blue stoneware jug. I keep telling myself I need to slow it down and stop buying certain items but when I see them I have to have them, I have no willpower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bracelet is so sweet and brings back memories of one I had as a young girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finds, beautiful photography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great finds Right now my love is for lamps I have too many and can not seem to stop buying them

    ReplyDelete
  5. great finds and great photos x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finds ..... I tend to live with things for a little while then move them on to someone else who will appreciate them .... we are after all just custodians of these material things x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice things Jem- love the book cover!

    The denim-lace corsage is very cute - it's also somewhat depressing because, as you say, how can crafters ever hope to make/sell their work at prices that rival the mass-produced wares of Primark et al.

    I wouldn't be surprised, either, if that little corsage was originally spotted as a handmade item and ripped off by the retail giant. I've seen that happen before, and read of very upset small business owners seeing their creations stolen.

    Anyway- yes - smashing buys, all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the little bracelet! You take very nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You find the most gorgeous things Jem! X

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're such an arty little magpie Jem!

    Happy Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are all so pretty, I really need to find a sally army shop near me and you and Vix have both had such amazing bargains in them! Sounds like they are the cheapest CS on the block. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  12. All beautiful finds! I love the blue pitcher and the glasses. And the sweet denim pin and bracelet. See, I have no will-power either and I suffer from the same storage issues. I believe I must soon become reacquainted with my old buddy eBay and perhaps make a new friend named Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All such bargains and as usual photographed so prettily. I'm dreaming about a new house to fill up, but still getting nowhere yet so trying to hold off the buying a bit :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh lots of lovely finds and the pictures are really pretty. I think I'm going to nick your A-Z post, hope you don't mind. Also loving your blog layout xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like those glasses and it has reminded me that I have really should get some sherry sized glasses (well any excuse.....)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely finds as always.Love your book bargain and the pretty diamanté necklace especially.When you discover treasures do you imagine what they will look like photographed?your photos are so artfully arranged so I wondered if subconsciously you are searching for beautiful items(much like a stylist)You have a real talent :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You photograph things so beautifully! I adore the bracelet so pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very very beautiful.

    Although, I admit on the first pic I thought the corsage was a greyed bra! LOL

    Loving your necklace and love the way you've photographed it draped on the jug.

    Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous finds and beautifully styled. Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such pretty pictures of pretty finds. I particularly like the book with the gorgeous cover.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great items captured in lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great photos of beauty! Our whole world is cluttered, you are just surrounding yourself with the beautiful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Treasures indeed! i love the photos you taken, it makes them more like something out of an expensive display in high street shops! i adore the denim lace corsage and the vintage flower bracelet! gorgeous color of the jug and the shot glasses are just stunning! well done and i'm sure you will find more treasures in your hunting! xx susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)