Sunday, 4 September 2011

Saturday Swoop

The charity shops here in Ashbourne were possibly the busiest I've seen them this afternoon - everyone seemed to be out for a bargain, folks young and old all complete with re-usable shoppers were combing the shelves.  When it comes to thrifting I'm usually a mid-week wanderer who likes to have a leisurely potter for a couple of hours but today I was a speedy shopper, in and out within half an hour.  Lots of things I'm excited about so please excuse the the chirpy ramblings!


I always think of Helen Mirren in The Queen when I see a square scarf - a touch of monarch chic, wouldn't mind her Land Rover either!  The Salvation Army had plenty of scarves in all sorts of colours and sizes, this one was 80p, I don't think I'll be wearing it over my rollers any time soon but it'll knot nicely round the neck underneath a shirt this Autumn. 


Jelly mould!! Never, ever come across these - or pie funnels - on my thrifty travels so snapped this up for 90p - may make an orange flavoured jelly in it tomorrow.


Tea cosy, oven glove, tea towel, pot holder and three napkins for 50p - another find from the Salvos which surprised me as their prices have shot up just recently.  


A frame purse which seems quite old - the lining, the way the metal filigree is laid onto the frame and the  chain handle make it look aged but without labels I suppose you can never be sure.  It's a lovely size for an evening bag so I'm betting on making use of it during party season. 


Last but by no means least - some china!  I couldn't have been more happy to spy this little lot if someone had filled each teacup with prettily wrapped chocolates.  It feels a very long time since I've picked up any teacups so spotting 6 cups and saucers with 4 matching tea plates handily placed in a window display made my day.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend, whatever you're up to,




Linking to the lovely Sophie of Her Library Adventures for Flea Market Finds , Magpie Monday at Me and my Shadow and Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

33 comments:

  1. You found some lovely things this week, I love the purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your finds, I have the same jelly mould,
    we bought it over to australia when we left uk 1961, and there is one in our local museum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tea cups are so pretty, nice to use or for display, either way I bet they make you smile every time you look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your litle purse and your teacups

    ReplyDelete
  5. can i come to your place for a cuppa?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh Jem this must have made a nice bagfull of swag to make your way home with!the scarf will be good for this autumn's colours.really like the china as well!
    Poppy.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tea cups are beautiful, I love blue and white china. Your thrift shopping this week was very successful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I reckon that purse is an oldie 60s maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All lovely lovely Jem most especially (in my humble opinion) the jelly mould.

    p.s. our Salvo's are getting pricier and pricier too...I very nearly, almost, don't bother with them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That purse is gorgeous!! I love the glass jelly mould.

    E :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very successful haul for a busy Saturday - well done! I have a very similar bag (I'll tweet you a picture) and I'm not sure if it's old or new. I don't use it because the metal strap catches on everything, it's SO pretty though.
    I bet you can't wait for the Autumn, scarves, more tea, lamps/candles and endless reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pile of lovelies there Jem - and so cheap, at least to me as a londoner! The chances of getting one napkin for 50p round here are tragically slim! Great jelly mould, at one point I could be almost guaranteed to find one every shop I went in! The bag and china are pretty too, the handles on the willow pattern cups lift them above the regular design I have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the scarf - I'm gathering quite a collection myself. Also love the linens. Our Sally Army shop is still one of the more reasonably priced- I've been priced out of a lot of the big named ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely finds especially the blue & white china ... you know how much I love that! I know it is for charity but our Oxfams price ridiculously now in the normal shops and their book shops ... they'll price themselves out of the market before long. Have you noticed too that in more affluent areas things are more expensive??

    ReplyDelete
  16. You find the BEST treasures Jem! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great finds - you are so lucky. Our local charity shops have been terrible recently! Particularly like the jelly mould!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have always loved Willow-pattern china. I gave most of mine away when we moved here. Wish I’d kept some now :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your blogg!

    Have a beautiful sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore the china!! How beautiful and so very you, what a wonderful find as are all your bits. I wish we had a salvo CS here, seems to be the giver of the best bargains! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous vintage purse! I'll be posting on some vintage bags I brought soon!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet scarf! The blue and white china is gorgeous. What a find. I would have been tickled to find them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the scarf! gorgeous color, i do sometimes like to tie the scarf on my tote bag. I adore the purse, it's almost the same color tone with the scarf, maybe? loving the teacups as well as the tea cosy set, they're just gorgeous! what a unique jelly mould or pie funnels, never seen something like that before so i cant be sure too what it is hehe i too like to wander at charity shops in mid week but then again coz i cant go out on weekend to charity shops, hubby forbids it hahahaha x susan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great finds. Chuckling at the QEII chic! Bet you'll rock it!

    You know me and jelly moulds - I'm more of a china mould than glass mould kinda girl, but yours looks a really interesting shape. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your blog, some really fab finds too. My favourite is the scarf, lovely design and the tea cups, you can't beat blue and white china gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Isn't it great when you find lots of things you really love in one trip! I think the scarf will look great this autumn and I can see why you nabbed the jelly mould and china.

    We don't have a Sally Army shop in Harrogate *hard done by face*

    ReplyDelete
  27. A lovely selection. I like the scarf best. Wish I had more style and followed it more the little I have. Jelly mould a bargain along with your blue and white lovelies.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A lovely swoop ! I really like the scarf, but it's all great, you did well :) x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Scarves...I love buying scarves. I must buy a couple a week. However I hardly ever wear them. Every time I put one on it doesn't look right. Maybe I don't have the neck for them :)
    The china is just lovely. Will you use them or display them? (or maybe as you suggested fill them with chocolate and give them as pressies) :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, I adore the blue china! So warm and comforting. I dream of drinking tea out of a cup like that while watching golden leaves floating down from the trees. Autumn can't come quick enough!

    To answer your question, I'm heading to Cornwall to attend university!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have some great treasures here...love that purse...thanks for sharing them at NTT.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm sooooo crazy over teacups! I love yours, they're gorgeous! Hope you're having a beautiful week-end!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)