Sunday, 11 September 2011

Saturday Spoils

Had a fairly eventful couple of thrifty trips this week, the downside of which was a dash to the cash machine when I spotted a lovely vintage typewriter only to get back to the charity shop in question just in time to see someone else paying for it at the till.  I think I must have looked slightly distraught as once the lucky purchaser left, typewriter all bagged up, the chap manning the till who I often have a chat with said he was sorry and would have saved it for me had he known I was keen.  Clouds and silver linings!  


Instead I came away with a tiny and very delicate vase for 20p which I hope will suit some small posies.  


The Salvation Army seem to be getting some gorgeous stock again in the last couple of weeks, I caught this single duvet cover embroidered with flowers and leaves just as it was being hung on the fabrics rail for £1.50.



Vintage handkerchiefs, still boxed, both sets for 50p. 






Some children's books for 40p apiece; a 1974 copy of Noddy's Big Day, Wandering Horace (isn't that a brilliant title!?) from 1965 and lastly, because I can never turn down a horse or pony-related story, The Little Seahorse. 

Linking up with Sophie of Her Library Adventures for Flea Market Finds - I look forward to it each weekend; the chance to get snapping at my own finds and to see the treasure troves the other posters have discovered too.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend wherever you are, whatever you're up to!



Also linking with Magpie Monday over at Me and My Shadow and Thrift Share Monday with Apron Thrift Girl!

20 comments:

  1. Seeing those Noddy books made me feel nostalgic ... Such great illustrations huh? I think you have had a lovely time poking about in the thrift shops and have come away with some beaut finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the vase is so cool Sorry about you not being able to get the typewriter I hate when that happens. I wanted to get this owl statue but my sister talked me out of it and then I had my son go back later and it was gone. Lesson learned If you like something get it right away or ask them to hold it for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow. the little vase is so, so pretty!!! 20 pence too - the ultimate bargainous steal! your photos of the children's books are so nice, as always!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I love the Noddy books too..gorgeous illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argghh you poor thing missing out on what you would have loved,Least you know to ask then run to bank next time.Did you see the chenille dressing gown I missed out on a couple of posts ago.I got over it eventually tho lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wandering Horace looks like such a sweet story.
    I'm sure another typewriter will come your way soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that vase, the design is so cool.

    E :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bad luck on missing out on the typewriter Jem, but I think you more than made up for it with the rest of your lovely and very charming haul. The vase, the books, the hankies, oh.oh.oh. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice haul again. The Helen Cresswell book is a gem. Now you have this rapport with the shopkeeper you must let him know next time something comes up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a shame about the typewriter, but you did so well otherwise.
    You have such an eye for colour, everything you buy is a beautiful shade, or 'gaily' illustrated (can't think why that word is no longer in vogue!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww unlucky Jem with the typewriter - im sure however a much more lovely one is awaiting you. I love that tiny little vase! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the boxed hankies! Really lovely! Stuff like that is just not made anymore. The care in packaging is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your finds are great and your photographs are BEAUTIFUL! A true pleasure to look at. Please stop by my blog if you have a moment!

    smallhousebythesea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. awwww sorry u didnt get the typewriter but you obviously bagged adorable items! a cute vase and those books are just adorable! i also love the single duvet and those lovely hankies, so sweet!!! i once saw an old typewriter being sold in guildcare charity shop but the price tag was about £30 so i thought, i'll pass...how much was the one u saw? x susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. shame about the typewriter, but you did well nevertheless.

    the little posy vase is very pretty and unusual and I love the duvet cover.



    Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had Noddy books like that. I wonder if Mum & Dad still have them in the loft. They're about as good at throwing things away as I am...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you did just fine at the thrifts, and did not have to lug home a heavy typewriter. If you really want one, something better is in the future for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i was at a boot sale the other day and saw a typewriter like the one i had as a teenager. I really regret not buying it. i keep thinking about it :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the embroidered leaves!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)