Wednesday, 21 September 2011

A little roundup . . .

If you've popped by the blog this week you'll have noticed it was a little like being in a library, nothing much happening in the way of action but subtly whispered conversations and pages turning softly in the background.  Other than a long overdue trip to Birmingham to visit my oldest friend for 3 days, all has been pretty quiet at House Clutter!  But what a 3 days . . . . It's mad to be able to say I have been friends with Alison, a.k.a Wonderland for 20 years, makes us both feel better to say we met aged 5 though!  


It all kicked off with a pair of Converse.  Now Converse are brilliant, and my footwear of choice.  But bedding in my still-new pair from last Christmas (had to wear out the pair I already had first!) on a day I knew I'd be doing lots of charging around catching buses, trains and trundling a suitcase through busy Birmingham while shopping, wasn't the best choice I've ever made.  Luckily no blisters but I was hobbling toward the end of the day.


One of the first places we went was Waterstones.  There are two in Birmingham, one of many, many floors (more books!!) but another with all the wow factor.  Gorgeous, gorgeous store where we spent a good 40 minutes coveting special editions of our favourite classics, chatting to an author on a book tour and searching for the biography section (it was at the front of the shop. Zero points for observation).  Not that we knew who said author was but he was friendly and chatty enough when he stopped us that we had to stealthily check out his name - Barry Mahoney - so we could Google him over lunch.  Turns out Barry is a travel writer born and bred in Lincolnshire who now lives in the Canaries, had we known he was from Lincolnshire there would have been a whole other source of conversation with it being our home county.


Bella Italia for lunch - can't beat 2 for 1 on main courses when you're girls on a budget - which was really tasty, but had to take a snap of Ali's dessert; half baked cookie yumminess with ice cream on top.

Rounded off the day with more shopping and almost getting caught up in some racially motivated brawling, but more on purchases in another post!

Hope you're all well! What have you been up to this week?

9 comments:

  1. Wow that Waterstones is bloody lovely!now off to have a look for barry mahoney myself, v curious!i think I could write a poem about converse. they are amazing!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely time you'be been having. Look forward to seeing what you snapped up. And the converse - get splashing in those filthy puddles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blissful day (apart from sore feet). I do love my converse too, and im going to treat myself to a new pair this weekend i think (if i can find a converse shop on my travels) im long overdue a spanking new pair. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't go wrong with conserve, they are always so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only one pair of converse at a time? You are good! I love all the colours and buy em cheap off Ebay.

    I could do with a good Waterstones binge, so much nicer than Amazon, but too expensive :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Waterstones building. I could linger there for a few hours. Couldn’t find Barrie on google at first. He spells his name with ie not y. Anyway, I don’t know him, he doesn’t live on my island...he’s on one of the others; Gran Canaria, so no chance of bumping into him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! What a priviledge to be able to travel to Birmingham via your blog from my bedroom in Perth! I am slightly America obsessed and It's my dream to travel there so thank you for your lovely photos and journal. You are lucky to be cool enough to wear converse. We have a big store near where I work and I think they are just the coolest but can't bring myself to go there and buy some because they are the epitome (sort of) of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely week! I have stayed home (school hols) and created, sewed and baked... bit of charity shopping... BLISS! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that you could meet up with your oldest friend for 3 days! sounds like both you and Alison have a great time in Birmingham (except the almost got caught up in a brawling and the new converse shoes effect) but loving all your photos, gorgeous building and super yummylicious dessert of Alison's! I cant wait to see what you bought in the next post, Jem! xx susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)