Sunday, 25 September 2011

Bargains from Birmingham

I packed light for my 3 days in Birmingham with Alison, we planned to hit the charity shops of Erdington on the Friday and I had one of those good feelings about spotting some treasures so space left over just in case (haha!) was a must.


There are 8 charity shops in a fairly small area of high street, we set out armed with super strong (and pretty!) shoppers purchased the day before in Primark for £1.50 apiece and plenty of excitement at possible finds.  We weren't disappointed!  Each shop we popped into seemed to turn up something for one or both of us - top of my list being this Sadler teapot with matching sugar pot and milk jug for £4.99.  It could just be me - but of all vintage china, teapots are the hardest things to come across - let alone Sadler ones, I snapped this up rapid style.


Next came a Colclough milk jug for £1.00.


Some retro glass storage jars 99p for two.


This Kent China teacup and saucer was 80p - had to blink at that - it would have been £3 here.


Wonderland-esque shot glass for 25p.


Two Queen Anne tea plates for 50p.

The brilliant prices meant there was some serious suitcase Tetris on Saturday before catching my train home to fit these, the books I picked up (saving for another post!) and Friday's purchases inside.  Had to be verrrry careful on the packed train home and made sure to get a seat near the baggage space, I couldn't help shooting a dirty look at the French backpacker who chucked his bag on top of my suitcase as though it had done him a personal wrong.  But some magic helped everything stay intact with no chips or cracks!

Happy weekend all!

P.S There is still plenty of time to enter my very first giveaway here if you haven't already . . . .



Linking to Flea Market Finds with Sophie of Her Library Adventures, Thrift Share Monday @ Apron Thrift Girl

27 comments:

  1. That's my DH's hometown! We always shop the high street charity shops when we visit. Great teapot set! Wonderful!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds! I love the little jug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those glass storage jars are just perfect and the Kent teacup is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrifting with a friend is always so much fun and even better when you both discover lovely treasures! Sounds like a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jem - I love those glass storage jars. Glad you had a good trip, it's always nice to be able to hunt for treasures in a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! what gorgeous finds. that sadler teapot set is just divine. loving that kent teacup too and for only 80p?? amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Sadler tea pot! Great stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tea set is stunning! Those storage jars are freaking cute too.

    E :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh they are all lovely finds. I especially like the cute glass jars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blingy teapot trio Jem, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all of this! So pretty. Glad you had such great luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Jem!These are awesome finds!!The Sadler teapot and matching jug/sugar bowl for £4.99 is amazing! They go for like £40 plus on ebay-i know as I keep trying to sniper a cheap one!the storage jars are soooo nice-can picture them full of sweets!
    Poppy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a worthwhile trip. I like the design on those teaplates; what a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome finds! The glass storage jars have my preference!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You found some great things, I particularly love the glass jars, I can just see them filled with cute buttons :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome finds, so pretty!
    Wonderful photography too! (as always!)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jem i adore all your finds, and well done on getting them home in one piece :o) I have the same storage jars in my collection, always handy and they seem to show up all the time in my local cs's. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh Jem! super gorgeous china set and it's a winner for the set just 4.99! love love the teacup and saucer and i agree with u, in my area it would have been much higher than 80p! i love the plates, the jug, jars and shot glass too! so glad that everything intact during ur train trip home! i would loveee to see your pretty bags from primark! hehehe...cant wait to see the books and ur friday purchases too! xx susan

    ReplyDelete
  19. What stunning finds! What a lovely tea cup and awesome price! You must be happy with your little trip! X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, this is Erin from Indiana Coupon Savings. I wanted to invite you to our Monday Madness Blog Hop. If you get a moment please stop by. thanks, www.indianacouponsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. my mum had those glass jars on our bathroom window sill with cotton balls in them. I saw one just yesterday in an op shop,

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post made me think of you today

    http://goo.gl/atdUs


    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jem I keep missing all your posts - not sure what's up with that, you'll have to give me a kick! You only pack clothes to use as wrapping for china don't you? ;-)

    (If you don't draw til Thursday eve/Fri I should be able to give your giveaway a nod on a post I have scheduled)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jem,
    I would have mugged you for that Sadler set. The headline would read "woman rugby tackled to floor for teapot, whilst shoppers look on in horror"!
    :-)
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like i should head to Brum for my next shopping spree then!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jem, gorgeous vintage-esque pictures! Thanks for your comment on Lucy's blog, it was interesting to read. I'm sure your friend is having a great time - there's really nothing to worry about over her in Korea! Loren x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)