Sunday, 24 July 2011

Glorious Glass

It's official, I'll never shake off the magpie on my shoulder who chirrups into my ear each time she clocks something remotely shiny.  Small wonder that it means I'm always bringing home glass!  One of the things I love most about glass is it's ability to lend a little opulence to wherever it sits sparkling away when in reality I've found it one of the least expensive things to pick up in a charity shop, at a car boot sale or at a flea market.  The downside is the potential for a horde of twinkly dust catchers in every room of the house, but I'll gloss over that . . . ! 


I had a brilliant couple of hours treasure seeking last week; the charity shop gods smiled on me and all was peachy.  There is a distinct lack of china in each of our half dozen shops at the moment, I mentioned it to one of the Cancer Research ladies while having a rummage and she sagely explained it's always the same round here 'whenever we're into car boot season'.  I'd never thought of it that way before - but if you're having a clear out I suppose it makes sense to sell things for your own profit during boot sale weather!


The absence of china seems to have made way for an abundance of other pretty things though and I spotted this little silver plated tray under a heap of 80s vinyl classics like Wham and Yazoo.  Not bad for £1.50!


A little bonbonniere for 99p, my Great-Nannie had something like this full of blackcurrant and liquorice sweets, whenever we visited it seemed to catch the light making the sweets look even more mouthwatering and as a little kid I'd stare at it hoping she'd offer me one before we left and she always forgot.  I credit her with giving me a taste for peanut brittle and peanut cookies though - I think they were her favourites - she shared them around constantly.


Another sundae glass - a different shape to the one I found a few weeks ago but a similar size and made of very thick glass bought for 20p.  I'd like to believe it's 1950s as it's label in the antiques shop suggested because I can easily picture it full of a thick milkshake with a stripy straw peeking out of the frothy top and a little Elvis playing in the background.  There's an 'oddments' table in this particular shop and it's always full of curious little things for 10 pence and upwards, I think I must be one of the few who pays attention to it because the contents always seem the same excepting new arrivals like this added every so often.


Three gilded glasses for £1.00 from Age UK, I think they must be pudding/dessert glasses as they seem too square for champagne bowls.  They look quite 60s in style to me but suggestions welcome!


A silver plated something which I think must be for flowers?  Not the most pleasant thought but it reminds me of the sort of vases you see attached to/around tomb stones.  It's a little tarnished in places and needs a good clean but for £1 I thought it would look lovely filled with roses or used as an ornate pen pot.


If I ever wake up during the night to the sound of someone breaking in, I'd like to think I could hurl the candle holder at the back of the intruder's head and knock them out cold while I call the police as it's certainly weighty enough!  It was a little pricier than my usual charity shop buys at £2.49 but it's the sort of thing I'm sure would survive a nuclear holocaust and look pretty doing it so I had to have the little rectangular dish in a similar shade of blue to go with it at 30p.


Last but not least a very cute little retro sherry glass for 10p - bargain of the day and a replacement for one I dropped and broke recently.

Just a quick one to apologise for not blogging or commenting much in the past couple of weeks, I was a tad under the weather and then had a touch of blogger's block so got wrapped up in books and job applications instead.  Looking forward to catching up with all of your blogs and hope you've all had a wonderful weekend!




Linking to: Flea Market FindsMagpie MondayThrift Share MondayThrifty Things Friday @ The Thrifty Groove

23 comments:

  1. You've found some really beautiful items. I especially like the gilded dessert bowls and the sherry glass. Lovely lovely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I’d known; I got rid of lots of sparkly dust-catchers before I emigrated. I’m in a different phase now, but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate your bargains. They are all rather lovely. Hope you feel on top of things now and good luck with the job applications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When one can't find china, then glorious glass will make up the void! I love the blue pieces you found, especially the little square dish. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your glass pieces remind me of those stunning dressing tables you see in homes/interior mags. all indulgence & prettiness!your blog is like reading one of those 4 free!amazing pics as always.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, being a much more modern milly than you, I'm not as blessed when it comes to the bargain hunting/creative crafting thing you do oh so well, but these pieces are gorgeous, but then that might be your excellent photography skills!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning pictures, and i did chuckle at the intruder being stopped by a swift blow of a candle holder to the back of the head - lol! I love all your finds, and what bargains!

    Great to have you back in blogland, ive missed your posts :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great finds! I love glass too, it is so hard to resist! I hope you are feeling better Jem. I have been the sickest ever this year and I have been suffering from exhaustion just trying to get my family stuff done, let alone blog, so I know how you feel! I am hoping as the weather warms here I will start feeling more energetic and inspired to take some pictures and blog! Happy week dear! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right about light and glass Jem it does look twinkly and shiny and pretty. It's one thing I've never bought much of but I can certainly appreciate how good it looks in other people's homes...yours looks just lovely stacked up together on that silver tray x

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are lovely and all photographed so beautifully too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooooh beautiful sparkly finds you got, Jem! love the sundae glass and even looking at it and imagine it full of milkshake and stripey straw makes me drool! the tray is stunning! and i love those gilded glasses! i too have been busy writing job applications and submitted them, good luck for both of us to get a job! dont worry, we all have those times when we're under the weather and wrapped up in something else...*hugs*. i do believe you that those candle holders could do alot of damage to an intruder hahahaha it certainly looks heavy enough! xx susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely finds Jem. The sundae glass is fab. I get bloggers blog too and end up going awol for a couple weeks, and then I end up posting every day for a while. It's feast ro famine with me when it comes to blogging! I hoep your job applications go well for you. Big hugs, Em x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all of your buys but my favourite is the little silver tray, so cute! have a great week. check out my blog I am having a giveaway :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great glasswear, the guilded glasses are my favourites...I don't seem to be able to find any in the charity shops near me. I would love to find some vintage wine glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely lovely things! I always see charity shops full of things like this but can't bring them home with me, my shelves are full! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really pretty finds and fantastic bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the little sweetie dish, great story about your nan. So nice to have something that reminds you of loved ones x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had a glass find too this week that I'm very happy with. There's nothing quite like the way glass twinkles in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such gorgeous finds as always!not sure I could single out a favourite as they look so gorgeous together on the silver plated tray.Good luck with the job applications too :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uhooi,,
    Waw,,, It's very pretty and nice,,

    Uhooi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous glass. I like finding stuff like that in op shops - it was so much better made than the stuff we have to buy now!

    Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage
    Enter our $200 Giveaway Here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your glass is very pretty! I love how you displayed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of sparkly pretties! I love the glasses. thank you for joining TTF and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such pretty pretties - especially love that tray!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)