Sunday, 26 June 2011

Out With The Old

You may have noticed things were a touch quieter than usual this week on the Beautiful Clutter front - but behind the scenes have been busy bees, I've been beavering away on some ideas for a Folksy shop while Karen of Valentine Design and the beautiful blog My Desert Cottage was creating the new Beautiful Clutter layout several thousand miles away in sunny Arizona.  I'm a complete novice with all things bloggy-blog design but my instincts did me credit in contacting Karen - as you can see she has done a brilliant job and I'd like to thank her very much for her hard work, patience and talent; so thank you lovely, it was - and is - a pleasure!

I now have a Beautiful Clutter Twitter page so if you're a fellow tweetie pop along and follow/ say hello or else swing by the Facebook page and lend a like.

Getting down to some pretty nitty-gritty . . . . 


Paper rosettes and statement necklaces have been the order the day this lazy Sunday.  Feeling a touch homesick and nostalgic for summery days of riding my pony and taking her to the odd horse show/gymkhana sparked a need to flatten a bun case, make some paper ruffles from newspaper, chop up a little ribbon and have myself a DIY rosette bonanza.

A bag of stainless steel washers and yet more ribbon later I have a slightly heavy, but distinctive necklace I hope will look the business with a dress I bought for a wedding in August.  If you're interested in making one yourself I came across a tutorial on this blog after having a google to see if anyone else had already used the same idea - turns out there are a few washer/ribbon necklace lovers besides myself! 


Writing with chalk is a talent I do not have - but the little cat-shaped blackboard I picked up a few weeks ago looked bare without a list and I love lists.  Imaginary shopping lists are arguably my favourites; Dr Pepper, sweeties and eggs are all I need for a yummy scrambled egg breakfast and an afternoon sugar coma.  Sunday bliss. 


The other thing I've been faintly obsessed over today is this bright red lantern the lovely other half brought back for me from his trip filming a documentary in Oman earlier this year, a tiny snippet of which can be seen here - 90 seconds of beautiful footage from an abandoned market - if I ever manage to develop half the skill he has with a camera I'll feel very accomplished!  Apparently he saw a few similar lanterns on his travels that had been rigged up to hold lightbulbs which must look striking, if I can get hold of a similar one over here I might try it but the red lantern will stay as it is. 

Happy Sunday!


23 comments:

  1. Ooh the blog design looks lovely, just right for you. Loving the washer necklace too, aren't you clever? I have a ton of ribbon so will have to try that.

    The rosettes are really pretty, I too am an ex-pony owner and gymkhana goer, I was only saying to my friend today that I'd love to be out for a ride - get some breeze going with a good gallop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and very jolly lantern, can't go wrong there. Good find that man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your new blog layout is fab! I love the colours you have choosen. I have lists coming out if my ears, as my mind tends to wander if it's not in front of me, so your chalkboard is a great idea.
    I will go and find you on Twitter now! Bx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very impressed with the new page, though I was very fond of the old one too. This now looks really fresh, clean and arty, just your style. I try making things after reading blogs such as yours, but always end up frustrated and in a mess. Having said that, the glass pebble magnets were super-easy, so I may give this washer/ribbon idea a go too. Lovely inspiring post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fantastic, she has done a sterling job, really suits your style! Muchy likey! Will click onto your FB page too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooh you've been busy!!! what a gorgeous new look of your blog, the new layout is so YOU! love the vintage feel to it! I absolutely love the paper rosette is so cute i want to try to make one! i'll definitely will check out the tutorial blog of ribbon necklace,it's stunning! the chalk board kitty is adorable, shopping list is fun when you got a cute kitty to write on hehehe...and i'm drooling on your red lantern *sighing with envy*...lucky you!! again i love your new blog layout! xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your new blog design,looks very professional indeed and a great backdrop to your wonderful photos.The necklace and rosette are lovely makes and list making is always joyful!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! The new design you have chosen is so gorgeous! I was a bit confused as the page was opening... I thought I was in the wrong place! I love all your changes, it is fun to get a makeover! That necklace and rosette are both fab! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new design is very striking; a good choice. I have just the place for that red lantern if you ever grow tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jem ~ what a lovely header and background! And your washer necklace is just so delightful ~ so clever indeed! Loving your cat blackboard and that cheery red lantern too! Hope you have a great week, Love Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blog is looking great Jem. Beautiful, in fact.

    And you are very clever with the jewelry - it's something I cannot do - just messing about with some brooches last week was something I found quite tricky and not that enjoyable really.

    Your washer necklace is very striking! I bet it draws attention when you wear it. Fab stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your new blog design, so pretty and chic! the red lantern is ace, i want it! it would look great in my summer house :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankyou so much for your kind comment on my blog re my mum. I have just started to follow you on Twitter. Love the necklace, how ingenious!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful necklace!!! You will look fabulous for that wedding!!
    I'm still following you!! I wonder how many actual followers we have???/
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love the new blog design!
    I've just popped over to Twitter & started following you too!
    love
    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. really lovely pictures, I love old lamps like that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your new look!
    Lady Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! HOW do some people write so beautifully in chalk? It's not a talent I possess either, but I love your list - am craving a sweet fix!

    Beautiful lantern, too. Happy Sunday! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Finally got online to comment on this post (read it on my mobile) and I LOVE your new blog design, so classy and so you, its beautiful. You've been a busy bee :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just discovered your blog!!! How lovely!! I am your new follower!!

    Smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  21. missed you! where have u been? still busy? hope your day is great! xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  22. your blog design is gorgeous, and your necklace really lovely! Em xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)