Monday, 7 February 2011

A little package from the beautiful north . . .

I posted a while ago on the joy of vintage postcards and lamented the lack of handwritten correspondence now that we are all so used to instantaneous communication.  Then Denise from beautiful blog The Swelle Life - a fellow fan of the bygone art - suggested a postcard exchange and my heart leapt!  I picked out a card to send just before Christmas, though when posting it I did worry that the poor little thing may get caught up in all the pandemonium caused by a few inches of snow but it arrived safely and Denise posted on it here.

I came home from a blustery trek to the supermarket a week later and my own little parcel had arrived from the beautiful north - I had been tipped off that it contained 'a postcard of sorts' so my interest had been thoroughly piqued and I tore in to find . . . . 


A gorgeous Orla Kiely postcard Denise picked up at Fashion Week in September - which went down a storm with me as I've long been a fan of Orla's gorgeous prints and a frequent coveter of everything on her website - and a coaster perfect for my side table in the living room made with an image from a local magazine cover translated onto a tile which felt like a beautiful postcard from the seaside in itself! 

So the lovely card is now happy stuck to my fridge with a clothes peg magnet (I'm a complete convert to these!) and the coaster plays host to several steaming cups of tea per day.

If you're thinking of sending someone a letter or a postcard; try it, you might like it! 

Take care, 
Jem xXx



6 comments:

  1. Ooh lovely! Also loving the clothespeg magnet idea, definitely need to copy this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice to receive personal mail isn't it? We mustn't let this die out completely. I always wonder who buys holiday postcards any more as we are so used to emailing people instead now. My daughter bought me '100 Penguin Postcards' of titles of books the Christmas before last and I sometimes send these to friends. Some of the vintage postcards one finds have the most lovely sentiments don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Gem I love the idea.Anything so easy,fun and inexpensive I'm for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! How sweet! I love that you're using the coaster, and that clothespeg magnet is great - where did you get them? I'll have another Orla Kiely postcard for you next Friday, she always has the new collection cards on a coffee table at her presentations. A teak coffee table, of course! Have a wonderful day! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what I love idea, I love recieving things through the mail, it's so nice to come home to little parcels...I will have to try something like this.

    I've given you a blog award, so nip over to my blog and check it out :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful idea and I totally agree, there is nothing better than a hand written note. Your treats are wonderful as is the one you sent Denise! Great FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)