Sunday, 9 January 2011

Vintage Compact

I will sound like an octogenarian grandmother for just a moment, but it is true to say that generally speaking everything used to be built to last.  One of the best examples I've found has to be this vintage  Stratton powder compact - incredibly well made and years later still going strong - something I feel comfortable carrying around in my bag to use as an everyday mirror.



Made in Britain when compacts themselves were keepers and powder refills were readily available, they were sustainably produced before such a thing was even thought of.  


Stratton themselves initially imported semi complete powder boxes from the USA to finish and decorate in the UK from 1923 onward before they began producing their own compacts in the 1930s.  Several of their factories were casualties of the Luftwaffe's bombing raids on Birmingham during World War II but Stratton enjoyed popularity for decades after their rebuild.  


Sadly compacts largely fell out of fashion but remain highly collectible, in fact I didn't realise how many collectors there were until I was fighting it out for this one on eBay!  Designs like this one are common and easily picked up at reasonable prices but rare, sought after designs can run into the thousands.

Such lovely things to window shop for online . . . . .

Take care,

Jem xXx









6 comments:

  1. Great compact! Glad you found my blog and now I have the chance to see yours and follow it too!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gem!
    Thank you for the visit and for your sweet comments!
    I'm so glad you posted about your Stratton compact. I sent one in a care package to a friend last summer. It was an item I had for sale for quite a while, but had never learned the history. Thanks for the lesson!
    Blessings and Hugs,
    Sabre'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love compacts. It's a shame they've faqllen out of fashion because they're so feminine and delicate.

    Nesha,
    http://thebuttonowl.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I never realised that they could be refilled (never really thought about it, i suppose!); great post. That compact is gorgeous.

    Great blog, by the way - gotta follow! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. FIRST TIME VISITING YOUR LOVELY BLOG!
    I LOVE YOUR BANNER AND YOUR BLOG NAME, TOO!

    DEBBIE MOSS

    P.S- YOUR COMPACT IS BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really glad I stumbled across this blog. I have a compact like this which belonged to my grandmother and I had no idea how old or collectable it was!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)