Sunday, 2 January 2011

Cameos

I find myself mooning over cameo brooches and pendants on eBay far more than I should, they are so elegant and versatile - timeless really.  The ancients used cameos on seals and signet rings but latterly they have been worn as jewellery and the name cameo comes from the technique used to produce the effect; originally using precious materials such as onyx that had naturally occurring divisions of different colours so that one side could be carved and shaped to reveal an image appearing to sit on a contrasting  background. 

As yet I haven't found the one that calls to me but I'm partial to the Wedgwood blue variety and the older agate based sorts with the delicate pinks and peaches.  In the meantime however, I was given a gorgeous costume jewellery necklace as a Christmas gift by a friend who knows me very well and I couldn't resist doing a post on it!




Take care,

Jem xXx



6 comments:

  1. I love cameos. I inherited a 1930's cameo from my great Aunt. Unfortunately the chain was broken and the style of the necklace wasn't really me. So I got a jeweller friend of mine to make it into a beautiful earrings and necklace - much more "me". Nice to see you blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous gift! Lucky girl! :-)

    Happy New Year, my friend!
    XOXO,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cameos too and your photos are gorgeous! What a lovely gift you received!! Wishing you all the best in 2011 Sweet Friend!
    xoxo
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how beautiful! Gorgeous soft colours. I'm very partial to Wedgwood blue as well, it gets me every time. Thanks for the background on the cameo, I learned something today! Denise ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are so beautiful!! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)